Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Small, Available Things



I love Hummingbirds!  I just can't get enough of watching them.  We are very fortunate in Oklahoma that we are in their migratory flight pattern so we have the opportunity to see a lot of them during the summer months.  When I look at them I am reminded of how delicate and yet resilient their lives are - our lives are.  I am also amazed at how many places they can find a little sip of nectar to keep them going.  It reminds me of one of the verses in Mary Oliver's poem entitled Summer Story, “When the Hummingbird sinks its face into the trumpet vine, into the funnels of the blossoms and the tongue leaps out and throbs, I am scorched to realize once again how many small, available things are in this world that aren’t pieces of gold or power that nobody owns. . .”

No comments:

Post a Comment